Lodge Sir George Cathcart No. 617

A Scottish Photographer

Andrew McDonald  - A Lifelong Photographer 

Andy's first photographs were taken as a child almost one hundred years ago in 1919.

I met him in the late 1960's as a member of Dennistoun Camera Club. Working in both black and white and colour slide photography he carried his cameras on his constant walks through the Scottish landscape, urban and rural, seeking the elusive moments when the light was just right.

Andrew's beautifully observed images are barely known outside his native Scotland but he assembled an important visual archive of twentieth centuary life and experience.

Just a few of his Photographs with a brief explanation:

Andy 1.jpeg

The Forth and Clyde Canal basin Glasgow around the mid 1950's. The view was domonated by the Pinkston Power station with its huge cooling tower. The  striking feature of this period  in Glasgow's  history was the air of gentle decay. Much of the street lighting was still fuelled by gas.

Andy 2.jpeg

Gizzi, the ice cream man. Guiseppi Gizzi, with his ice cream barrow at the corner of Wishart street, James Orr Street and Glenfield Street, around 1937. His sales pitch covered miles of streets in the Glasagow's east end where he pushed his barrow daily, switching in the winter to roasted chestnuts. The building behind the barrow is the boiler house of the Glasgow Royal Infirmary.

Andy 3.jpeg

This picture was taken outside Lewis's (Now Debenham's) department store on Argyle Street. A new office building at West George Street has since altered the view, and the station's striking arched facade has been largely obscured. Behind the station can be glimpsed the Pinkston cooling tower.

Andy 4.jpeg

The Odeon Cinema in Renfield Street as it was in 1957. The film this particular evening featured film star Ronald Reagan who rose to become President of the U.S.A. The film "Hellcats of the Navy" also starred his wife to be, Nancy.

Andy 5.jpeg

Ladywell Street, Glasgow. In the early days, Glasgow consisted of seven streets. Ladywell Street being one of them. The actual well was situated on the verge of the graveyard known as the necropolis, and for that reason was eventually removed and replaced by a bronze urn. This can be seen in the photograph at the fan end of the street. The small building with the sign "Ladywell garage" was formally Glasgow's oldest "ragged school" a school for the poor. To the left of the school runs the Molendiner Burn on whose bank Saint Mungo, Glasgow's Patron Saint, decided to establish a Cathedral.

Andy 6.jpeg

Paddy's market was situated between Briggait and Shipbank Lane near the River Clyde. The Market was originally located in Jail Square.

 The "Ragwife" has spread out before her for sale, the fruit of her door to door collection. Woolen rags were sold to dealers and eventually recycled into cloth called "shoddy", not to be confused with the same word in English that means "shabby".

Andy 7.jpeg

Andy and some brothers in arms around a parifin heater in an abandoned farmhouse in the first winter of the Italian Campaign of the second world war (Campomarino 1943) The flash photograph was achieved by using magnesium scraped from the core of a Spitfire aircraft's tracer shell. The resulting powder was ignited in an empty can with a piece of newspaper as a fuse, and the camera handheld with the shutter set at "time"